23 July 2010

Garden Festival II

More things I loved. I have always had a huge appetite for the crazily colorful, but I'm not a very big "flowers" person. As gifts go, I'd much rather get chocolates. Or something edible and suitably delicious. Or just something that won't die on me within 3 days and attract flies. In my house, potted plants might as well be cut bouquets. I do still like looking at them though.

These medallion-decked beauties reminded me of the talking flowers in Alice.


Elaborate miniature landscapes... propagated with real plants

I'm a huge sucker for anything miniature, so it's only natural that I adore bonsai. There's a ton of scholarly knowledge about bonsai cultivation and it is a real art form that attracts the insanely devoted to spend vast amounts of time, money, and energy cultivating these precious creations. For the unenlightened philistines like me though, the key attraction is in their resemblance to tiny perfect play-sets, i.e. the "cute" factor. 

Charming scene with a line from classical poetry. Cooler than terrariums.

Omigosh adorable extra-mini untamed counterpart to the bonsai
I want to make one of these. I <3 weeds.

My overall favorite display from the festival had to be the balcony garden setups done by Mr. Jun-Ichi Inada (apparently a well-known Japanese landscape architect without an English website). Partly because they feature the balcony component typical of mass housing in SG, hence bringing the idea of gardens much closer to the reality of my everyday life; and partly because they were designed as the balconies of several plant-loving eccentrics (I guess I identify closely with this particular group).

The individual ideas used in each concept are also interesting on their own and could definitely see real application (albeit a little more toned down) in the average family home. Okay, honestly I would like a complete replication in my own home, never you mind that it will displace my study/craft room and even this computer that I am typing on now.

Ms Flower loves flowers and colorful plants. 
Planting hats are her favorite as she can walk with plants on her head.

No sh*t. I want a planting hat. Planting hats, also known as Meadow Hat.

Mr. Otaku loves zen gardens. He dreams of having a rock garden in his apartment.

I did not manage to get the blurb on Mr. Green, but he's a real family type. 

This balcony garden was my favorite by far. I love moss balls!

How adorable is this kid's corner? I want a moss-ball-mobile and little crates in my room.

And then because I couldn't walk away empty handed... I bought me some plants... (to kill?) I decided to take photos for posterity before they fall into ruin.

More tillandsia! Air-plants FTW

 African violets.

I am going to have fun trying to propagate some plants as soon as I can. Hopefully these plants will live long healthy lives. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment